To begin answering: It's connection. My age group is a wandering one. We are used to transient life-styles; whether it's moving for jobs or school; moving for relationships; or just transient in thinking. It is true that most of my group believes "whatever" is okay. We don't like to feel judged or that our lives can't be our own. And the way the modern church is presented to the world is: "you must radically change who you are, or you can't be accepted."
A lot of churches are not welcoming and can be cliquey. Grace is not practiced nor presented. Our generation has seen a lot of destruction and hate. That resonates with us. And although we may not show rebellion like our parents, we show acceptance and tolerance. That's what we desire.
We grew up as latchkey kids and in age of transforming technology. But yet, we are a generation who can easily look back on our childhoods and come together as a group with great commonness. Children of the 80's and 90's are a vastly different group of people than our parents. And we have LOTS of questions.
But as I first stated: we like connection. We like feeling we belong to something or someone. Hence looking back at common themes of our childhoods and we feel connected to another person. When I finally felt I could be a part of a church, it was because of connectedness. I felt that I could belong in the church body and possibly offer something to it. And also, being a part of a church where I am not judged or scolded because I may have done something "sinful"; such as sex before marriage or even getting drunk.
I love Christ. I love that his life was miraculous. I love that Christ was REAL and made the effort to connect with all people. The church does not represent the Christ I've read about in the Bible and the One I believe in and desperately want to follow.
I am not sure if that answers what you're seeking. And I may have other things to say as i re-read what you wrote. I also may not even represent the vast majority of my generation. I think my journey with Christ is an extremely unique one; I trained for ministry and at one point was highly involved in ministry. But I was also extremely hurt by the people of the church and I walked away for a long time. Yet, I came back when I allowed my heart to be open to the Holy Spirit and the guidance of it.
And now my prayer is: God, allow me to be open and not judging of the Church.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment